To be frank it feels like that this election is as serious as the wall of Berlin coming down. Or that time when tanks were shooting at the White house in Moscow. My initial fear is that it will be Russia in the 90s all over again with daily unrest, explosions, shootings and mass depression.
My deep seated fear is that it will dangerous to walk on streets or for that matter that it would be dangerous to stay in your home. When I was growing up in that Soviet/post-Soviet mess fears were very realistic and they were everywhere.
I admit that tonight my mind did run away with fears again. And I did consider leaving tomorrow. But.... reality. I am grateful it is different this time. I am grateful that it is no longer 90s in Moscow. What a wonderful community we have here in Santa Fe! A small progressive town (but our hearts are big). The reason why I am choosing to be here at this moment is that this is a country of immigrants really. We all came from somewhere. And we love to share our diverse ethnicities, we are proud of our mixed nationalities.
My husband reminded me tonight that this is not a bloody revolution (at least so far). It might not be as violent as I expect it to be. The social order is not going to collapse overnight. We still have a chance.
And even though I have my PTSD terrors and my heart is breaking, and even though my heart aches for anyone who will be subjected to violence if Trump wins. People who have democratic values, their lives are not going to be as good as they deserve. There will be a lot of damage.... In the light of that there is still some goodness.
So I decided to make a list of good things:
- If Trump wins. There will be fewer issues with Russia (I hope so anyway).
- We still have our families, friends, animals, spirits
- In many ways, most of our daily lives won't change all that much (at least we hope).
- We're fortunate enough to live in a progressive town in a blue state.
- While more people have supported Trump that I ever would have imagined, there are still millions and millions of people who voted for sanity, stability, and equality.
- We're not in Russia! (or Syria, etc.)
If you have anything good to add to this list. Please share! Email me or write to me on facebook or instagram.